Learning to See at Arch Street Meeting House (S13/INT)
We are pleased to present our 6-week introductory course at the Arch Street Meeting House. The two acre lot at the intersection of 4th and Arch Streets was given to the Philadelphia Quakers by William Penn in 1693. In 1804 the building was erected to house the annual gatherings of Quakers in the Delaware Valley. Quaker women, who enjoyed spiritual and social equality, lobbied for a structure that would provide equal space for business meetings and for charitable work. The result was two large meeting rooms of identical size forming the largest Quaker meeting house in the United States.